Buyers Guide » Working With a Realtor®
Is it necessary
to buy a house through a Realtor? Although you are not legally required
to, why would you undertake such an important purchase without the
help of an expert? The Realtor's expert knowledge of the neighbourhood,
future development plans, taxes, zoning, transportation, schools
and community services will help you select the property that meets
your needs. Your REALTOR® will also advise you on financing options
and recommend other professionals needed to complete the sale. You
will be dealing with sellers and their agents, so you want to make
sure you have someone who will represent and promote your interests.
Click here to read a article on How
Realtors earn their commission.
As a buyer,
your REALTOR® will:
- Help you
determine the type of property you need and can afford.
- Help you
find available properties and make appointments to view them.
- Advise you
about market conditions and provide information about the community.
the forms used in a real estate transaction and help you prepare
an offer to purchase.
your offer to the seller and negotiate on your behalf.
other professionals, such as a certified home inspector or lawyer/notary.
- Help you
understand agency relationships. Read articles on Buyer Agency and Seller Agency
- Get referrals from your family or friends.
- Look for a REALTOR® that is more than just a big advertisement.
- Use Internet search engines and look for a REALTOR® with an informative website with useful information. Not one that is just "about me" marketing.
- If you're relocating to a new area use the Internet. Any REALTOR® worth their value will have a decent website with useful information about the areas you are considering. A good website will be an indication that they can handle using technology to make the process easier for you while you are away.
- After selecting a couple, call them on the phone to get a feel for their personality. You want someone that you will be able to work closely with.
a Realtor, look for an agent who:
economic trends and the market.
- Knows the
area where you want to buy.
attentively and instills confidence.